Airfields Home

Andrews Field
   51.895 , 0.449167

Essex Index  

Opened in early 1943 as a bomber base construction had started in 1942 with the aim to call the base Great Saling, however it was renamed after the death of General Andrews. It continued in the bomber role with the USAF until early 1945 when it was returned to the RAF. By 1948 the airfield had been vacated and abandoned. In 1972 a 3000 foot grass runway was constructed along the lines of one of the original runways and is now a flying club.

Discuss This Airfield In The AiX ARG Airfields Forum